MEG functions as a lively, informal group of peers who hope to learn from each others' experiences.
Members play an important role in the development of this exciting area of museum research and practice, and members of the committee are always keen to receive suggestions for new activities from members.
At present, the main activities of MEG include:
- Publishing the Journal of Museum Ethnography, a prestigious annual journal
- Organising an annual spring conference, normally hosted by a member institution
- Coordinating smaller scale events. These include visits to museums and new exhibitions, normally with talks or tours by their curators and a recent highlight of the events programme was a trip to Paris.
- Circulating a regular newsletter to members by email
- Maintaining the MEG website and online discussion forums (coming soon)